BCLM Works on Paper, Legal, Boxes 46-49

BCLM Works on Paper, Legal, Boxes 46-49

Box 46

Title

Date

Physical Description

Call Number

Notes

Representation of the Merchants Exchange

No Date

Engraving

CB160

This engraving is a represenation of the merchants exchange building in Baltimore, MD. Benjamin Henry Latrobe and Maximillian Godefroy constructed this building between 1816-1820.  The building came down in 1901.  

Occupation of Post Office

July 13, 1861

Engraving

CD860

This sketch shows the occupation of the 20th Pennsylvanian troops in the post office in Baltimore located on the corner of Gay and Lombard streets. They were to protect this post office in case of a riot.  This order was given by Major Gen Banks. The post office was then located in the old Exchange Building on the site of the present Custom House.

Occupation of Post Office

July 13, 1861

Engraving

CD8678

This sketch shows the post office in Baltimore being guarded outside by Major Cook's Boston Battery.  Cannons are also located outside the post office in case of a riot. The post office was then located in the old Exchange Building on the site of the present Custom House. The sketch was made from the south side of Exchange Place. Published New York.

Occupation of Post Office

July 13, 1861

Engraving

CD867C

This sketch shows the post office in Baltimore being guarded outside by Major Cook's Boston Battery.  Cannons are also located outside the post office in case of a riot. The post office was then located in the old Exchange Building on the site of the present Custom House.

Baltimore Town

1752

Photograph

CB924

This photograph shows Baltimore Town in the year 1752 presented by John J. Hanson, the original drawing was by John Moale.

Chamber of Commerce

No Date

Engraving

CB1205/MB 1205

2 engravings of Baltimore's Chamber of Commerce building located on the corner of Holliday and Second Streets.  In the picture horse drawn trolleys are placed to the side of the building.  This puts the date around the 1860s?

Carrollton Hotel

Prior to 1904

Engraving

MD1208

This engraving is of Carrollton Hotel located at the corner of Baltimore, Light and German streets.  This building burned down during the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904. 

McDonogh Institute

No Date

Engraving

MD1210

McDonogh Institute of Baltimore was founded in Owings Mills in 1873 funded by John McDonogh's estate. 

Mt Vernon Place M.E. Church

No Date

Engraving

MD1211

This engraving depicts the Methodist Episocopal Church in Mount Vernon Place in Baltimore. Victorian gothic architecture, designed by Thomas Dixon and Charles L. Carson and completed on November 12, 1872. It is located on the site of the mansion of Charles Howard who was married to the daughter of Francis Scott Key who died in his daughter's home.

St. John's Church

No Date

Engraving

MD1212

This engraving depicts St. John's Church, Western Run Parish located in the 4th District of Baltimore County, MD.  Built in 1843 it is currently located at 3009 Greenmount Ave.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company Central Office

No Date

Engraving

MB1484

This engraving shows the central office of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company located at the northwest corner of Baltimore and Calvert streets.  This company is one of the oldest railroads in the US. Ground broken for railroad on July 4, 1828.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company Central Office

No Date

Engraving

MB1485

This engraving shows the central office of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company located at the northwest corner of Baltimore and Calvert streets.  This company is one of the oldest railroads in the US. Ground broken for railroad on July 4, 1828.

Chamber of Commerce

No Date

Engraving

MB1486

Chamber of Commerce Building picture from a book.  Lists the President Walter B. McAtee, Treasurer, Secretary and the Directors.  The Builder and Superintendent was John E. Marshall.

Masonic Temple

No Date

Engraving

MB1487

This engraving is of the Masonic Temple in Baltimore.  From Edward King, 1848-1896 and James Wells Champney, 1843-1903, illustrated byThe Great South; A Record of Journeys in Louisiana, Texas, the Indian Territory, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland.
Hartford, Conn.: American Publishing Co., 1875.

The New United States Post Office

No Date

Engraving

MB1488

This engraving depicts the "New United States Post-Office" that was located behind City Hall where Courthouse East presently stands.

Blind Asylum

No Date

Engraving

MB1490

This engraving is of the Blind Asylum located in Baltimore.  Benjamin F. Newcomer is a founder of the Maryland Institution for The Instruction of the Blind.

University of Maryland School of Medicine

1890s

Print

MB1492

This clipping is about the University of Maryland School of Medicine with the Hon. Severn Teackle Wallis as Provost.  The facutly is also named and an illustration of the school is shown with horse drawn carriages and trolleys.

Baltimore City College

1800s

Engraving

MB1493

This engraving depicts Baltimore City College known as the "Castle on the Hill" when it was located downtown for 174 years on North Howard Street. It was orginially an all male institution when it was established in 1839. It was relocated to the Alameda in 1928. 

Savings Bank of Baltimore

No Date

Engraving

MB1495

This engraving depicts the Savings Bank of Baltimore that was incorporated in December 1818. 

St. Paul's P. E. Church

No Date

Illustration

MB1499

Depiction of St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, known as Old St. Paul's located at 233 N. Charles Street.  Founded in 1692 as the parish church, one of the original 30 parishes in colonial Maryland.

The New First Presbyterian Church

1870s

Engraving

MB1500

This engraving depicts the "New First Presbyterian Church" located in Baltimore.  Construction began 1859 and finished around 1873.  Gothic Revival architecture.  The congregation is the oldest founded in 1761 by those who came to Baltimore Town. It is located at Park Avenue and Madison Street.

Friends' Meeting House and School House

No Date

Engraving

MB1504

2 pictures of the Friends School of Baltimore was founded in 1784 by Quakers. 

Christ's Church

No Date

Engraving

MB1505

Engraving of Christ Church located on the northwest corner of Chase and St. Paul street.

Springfield Farm

No Date

Engraving

MB1506

Residence of Frank Brown, "Springfield Farm" located in Western Maryland. Mrs. Patterson and Mr. Carroll decided to sell to Frank Brown in 1880. Frank Brown was a Governor of Bowie and in 1875 he was elected to the House of Delegates, MD Assembly. This site became to be the Springfield Hospital.

Bethany Independent Methodist Church

Circa 1905-1940

Engraving

MB1526

Bethany Church was located at the corner of Lexington and Calhoun Streets in 1872.  Constructed from iron. From History of Baltimore City and County, from the Earliest Period to the Present Day. By John Thomas Scharft 1881.

Maryland Institute

1826-1904

Engraving

MB1527

The Maryland Institute was founded in 1826 and known as the "Maryland Institute for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts" one of the first and oldest art colleges in the US.  The original building burned down in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904. 

Young Men's Christian Association Building

No Date

Engraving

MB1529

The YMCA began in 1844 by George Williams In London and it become nationwide.

The Old First Presbyterian Church

1920s

Engraving

MB1530

This building stood at the corner of Fayette and Guilford.  Designed and built by John Dalrymple and James Mosher and torn down around 1880 for the old Post Office Building to be built there.

Hebrew Hospital

No Date

Engraving

MB1531

The Baltimore Asylum for Isrealites was also known as the Hebrew Hospital for Jews in Baltimore. 

The Carrollton

Prior to 1904

Print

MB1534

This advertisement is to showcase The Carrollton Hotel located in Baltimore by Proprietor R. B. Coleman. Also seen in The Monumental City: Its Past History and Present Resources page 252 by George Washington Howard (1873)

Mansion House Hotel

1800s

Print

MB1535

The Mansion House Hotel located on the corner of Fayette and St. Paul Streets, capacity 200.  Also seen in The Monumental City: Its Past History and Present Resources by George Washington Howard pg 253 (1873)

Barnum's City Hotel

No Date

Print

MB1539

 Barnum Hotel in Baltimore promotes the hotel, notes a few of its luxuries, and boasts of the ability to house 600 guests. Railroads helped inaugurate a wide array of luxury hotels designed to meet the needs of a traveling public and business class.

St. Peter's P. E. Church

No Date

Print

MB1541

Created in 1802 and located on Sharp and German Streets until 1868. IN 1869 a cornerstone for the new church was laid and in October 1870 the church was opened, located at the corner of Druid Hill ave and Lanvale Street. Found in From History of Baltimore City and County, from the Earliest Period to the Present Day. By John Thomas Scharft 1881.

Otterbein Church

No Date

Print

MB1542

Baltimore's Oldest Church, 1771,the church was erected in 1785.  Known as the mother church of the United Brethren in Christ.  Benedict Schwope and Francis Asbury persuaded Philip William Otterbein to accept pastorate in 1774.  Otterbein in 1784, help assisted Asbury with the ordination at the Christmas Conference which founded the Methodist Episcopal Church. 

Baltimore Natatorium and Institution for Physical Culture

1800s

Print

MB1545

This natatorium was for ladies, gentlemen and children.  60 feet front and 2044 ft deep its purpose was to be used as a Bathing House and Swimming School.  The association's directors included Physician Charles A. Alberti, Richard D. Fisher, Charles A. Vogeler and William M. Busey.  This was an excerpt from the book The Monumental City:  Its Past History and Present Resources  by George Washington Howard published in 1873.

The Henry White Block

1800s

Print

MB1546

This picture of the Henry White Block was an excerpt from the book The Monumental City:  Its Past History and Present Resources  by George Washington Howard published in 1873. The Henry White Block was located on the S.W. corner of Howard and Baltimore streets.  Henry White Esq., who moved to Paris, France, erected this building which was 5 stories.  Built of the "finest Baltimore pressed Brick and Lake Huron adn North River blue stone trimmings.  Building used for offices, store-rooms etc. Building also included four steam elevators.  The whole structure is fire-proof.

National Farmers and Planters Bank

Circa 1836

Print

MB1547

The National Farmers and Planters Bank was organized on April 1, 1836 and became a National bank on May 22, 1865.  The President of this bank was Enoch Pratt, its capital $800,000 and Surplus $550,000. In this informational the leaders of the bank are listed along with the list of Directors. 

City Hall

1800s

Print

MB1652

This illustration is of Baltimore's City Hall.

Congress Hall

1770-1860

Print

MB1660

This illustration is of Congress Hall, known as "Henry Fite House" it was a meeting house for the Second Continental Congress from Dec. 20, 1776-February 22, 1777, moving from Philadelphia to Baltimore to avoid capture by the British forces.  It was originally built as a tavern in 1770 by Henry Fite. 3 stories, brick building, windows, 3 doors located at Market Street.  It was destroyedby fire on September 4, 1860.

Rennert House

1885

Print

MB1661

This illustration depicts the Rennert Hotel located on 45 W. Fayetter Street. Proprietor was Robert Rennert.  This is not the Rennert Hotel that was designed by E. F. Baldwin, the photos are completely different.

St. Joesph's Pssionist Monastery

1860s

Print

MB1666

This illustration is of St. Joesph's Passionist Monastery located in Baltimore, MD.  On Sept.13, 1868 dedicated by Bishop James P. Gibbons.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company Central Office

No Date

Print

MB1667

This illustration shows the central office of the baltimore and ohio railroad company located at the n.w corner of Baltimore and Calvert streets.  This company is one of the oldest railroads in the US. Ground broken for railroad on July 4, 1828.

"Woodley"

1880s

Print

MB1670

Residence of Thomas M. Keerl bought a house in 1868 and the mansion was expanded and improved on the 60 acres.  Information on Thomas Keerl and his family located in History of Baltimore City and County, from the Earliest Period to the Present Day by John Thomas Scharf published in 1881. pages 773-775. This excerpt of the illustration of the residence is located on page 774.

The Carrollton Viaduct

Oct. 22, 1853

Print

MB1688

2 illustrations of the same scene of Carrollton Viaduct located over Gwynns Falls near Carroll Park, construction began in 1828.  Its bridge is the world's oldest railroad bridge still in use.  It was previously owned by B&O railroad.

Box 47

Title

Date

Physical Description

Call Number

Notes

The First Passenger Coach

Circa 1830s

Clipping

MB1747

Illustration that depicts the first passenger coach on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, pulled by horse and driven by the coachman. H Kramer name at the bottom.

The Girls Latin School

1894

Clipping

MB1833

Engraving that depicts The Girls' Latin School of Baltimore.  Located at St. Paul and 24th Streets.  This college preparatory school was founded in 1890 as an extention of Goucher College.  In 1909 the school broke away from Goucher, reorganized and in 1914 moved to Winan's Mansion at 1217 St. Paul Street.Their last location was at 10 Club Road in Roland Park. In 1951 the school closed.  Growing Up in Baltimore:  A Photographic History by Eden Unger Bowditch

"The Sun" Iron Building

No Date

Clipping

MB1699

Illustration of "The Sun" Iron Building located at the S.E. corridor of Baltimore and South Streets.  First iron building in the world to use cast-iron beams and columns in its framing and finished in 1851.  Architects R. C. Hatfield, James Bogardus and William H. Reasin. This building was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

Calvert Hall

1894

Clipping

MB1834

Sketch of Calvert Hall, the Paraochial School for Boys located at the SW corner of Cathedral and Mulberry Streets.  Cardinal James Gibbons presided at the dedication at this location in 1891.  T. C. Kennedy was the Architect.  In 1960, Brother Gabriel Cannon, FSC moved the school to Towson (its current location).

The Old Light Street M.E. Church

No Date

Clipping

MB1689

Sketch of The Old Light Street M. E. Church that was birthed from Lovely Lane Chapel to accommodate their growing congregation.  Located on the NW corner of Light Street and Wine Alley, the church was dedicated on May 21, 1786 by Bishop Francis Asbury.  The parsonage was adjoined to the church.  New Light Street Church was built in 1796 on the SW corner of Light Street and Wine Alley. History of Baltimore City and County, from the Earliest Period to the Present Day by John Thomas Scharf (1881)

Hair and Bristle Works (William Wilkens and Co.)

Circa 1800s

Clipping

MB1693

Illustration of William Wilkens and Co. Hair and Bristle Works located in Baltimore Md. Founed in 1845.

The Thomsen Chemical Company's Works

1900s

Clipping

MB1694

Sketch of site of the Thomsen Chemical Company's Works, manufacturer of fungicides and insecticides for fruit trees.  This company was located in Baltimore.

Norris and Baldwin Dry Good Commission Merchants

1840s

Clipping

MB1695

Engraving of Warren Cotton Mills, Warren Baltimore County, MD. Edward T. Norris and Summerfield Baldwin purchased the well known Savage Factory in Howard County. Cotton goods manufactured here and sold to the South and West. The Monumental City:  Its History and Present Resources by George Washington Howard.

Armstrong, Cator and Co.

No Date

Photograph

MB1696

This photograph is of the Armstrong, Cator and Co. building.  "Notions, Laces, Neckware, Ribbons, Silks, straw Goods" written on the front of the building.  It was the oldest millinery business in the United States. Its five-story building with cast-iron façade was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

G. R. Vickers' Office Building

Circa 1873

Clipping

MB1697

Illustration of G.R. Vickers' office building, four story, nine bay-wide warehouse on German Street near S. Gay Street.  Built in 1873-74 for W.Gunther Company, tobacco and cotton merchants. Cast-iron front by Bartlett, Robbins and Company. Picture from George Howard, Monumental City page 255.  This excerpt from The Architecture of Baltimore:  An Illustrated History.

"The American" Building

No Date

Engraving

MB1701

Engraving of "The American" Building located located on the southwest corner of Baltimore and South Streets.  This building was destroyed by the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

Terminal Warehouse

1890s

Clipping

MB1702

Illustration of the Terminal Warehouse built in 1894, for the railway remains one of the oldest warehouses in continuous use by the same corporation.  Known as the "Flour Warehouse" was designed by Benjamin B. Owens a Baltimore architect. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978

The American Label Company's Works

No Date

Clipping

MB1703

Illustration of The American Label Company

St. Timothy's Hall and Church

1840s

Engraving

MB1714

Engraving of St. Timothy's Hall and Church located in Catonsville, Md.  Litho by E. Sachise and Co, published by the Sun Iron Building.  St. Timothy's Hall started in 1844 as a theological school and was separate from the church.  Boys between the ages of 7 and 14 were taught, its most famous student was John Wilkes Booth.  The school burned in July 1872 and the school closed for good. 

Baltimore Viaduct

1830s

Clipping

MB1746

Illustration of the Baltimore Viaduct.  Designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, II and commissioned by the B&O Railroad Company.  Built between July 4, 1833, and July 4, 1835 after it was completed it was known as the largest bridge in the US.  Still extant.

Peabody Institute

No Date

Clipping

MB1807

Illustration of the Peabody Institute that was founded in 1857 by philanthropist George Peabody (1795-1869). This is the library

Adams Express Company's Office and McCormick & Co

No Date

Clippings

MB1820

Illustrations of Adams Express Company's Office located at 205 Baltimore St.  Formally incorporated on July 1, 1854 by Alvin Adams.  It became the largest express shipping company on the East Coast.  The offices were destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.  The company rebuilt and still exists today.  The McCormick and Company's illustrations displays there later location in the early 90s.  The McCormick company began in Baltimore in 1889 by Willoughby M. McCormick.  Most of the company's assets and records were destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 and a new site was erected in 10 months.  McCormick company still exists today.

US Fidelity and Guaranty Company

1890s

Clipping

MB1821

The United States Fidelity and Guaranty Company was organized in Baltimore in 1896.  Fidelity was a subsidary of the US Fidelity and Guaranty Co until 1998. In 2013 the Fidelity Insurance company stated the headquarters will move to Des Moines, Iowa but maintain a presence in Baltimore. 

The Safe Deposit and Trust Company

1900s

Clipping

MB1822

Illustration shows an advertisement for The Safe Deposit and Trust Company of Baltimore, chartered by the Legislature of Maryland for the safe keeping of valuables.  Located on South street of Baltimore.  It also lists its Directors.

Hennegen, Bates and Co.

1870s

Print

MB1824

Illustration shows an advertisement for Hennegen, Bates and Co Wholesale and Retail Jewelers.  Located at 255 W. Baltimore Street.  They were founded in Pittsburge in the 1860s and then moved to Baltimore.  They stayed in business until 1930.

The Hoen Building

1880s

Engraving

MB1825

This engraving is of the Hoen Building located on Lexington Street, opposite of City Hall.  This building is occupied by A. Hoen and Co Lithographers.  Established in 1835 and the building was erected in 1880.  The Architect was W.F. Weber.  All info located in this advertisement.  The building was destroyed by fire in 1902 and completely destroyed in 1926.  At this site is City Hall's Municipal Building.  A Hoen & Co. rebuilt at 2101 E. Biddle Street.

The Crown Cork and Seal Company's Works

1890s

Clipping

MB1826

This illustration is of the crown Cork and Seal Company.  Foreman and inventor William Painter patents the "crown cork" and starts this company in Baltimore in 1892.  He invented a better way to package soft drinks and beer.  In 1958 the company closed abrubtly.  The Crown complex is still in use by different companies in Greektown in Baltimore.

Mercantile Trust and Deposit Company

1880s

Clipping

MB1828

This illustration is of the Mercantile Trust and Deposit Company.  This building was constructed in 1885 by Wyatt and Sperry.  This building survived the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.  This was Baltimore's first one stop banking to get loans, access savings accounts, or open checking accounts.  This idea was made by Enoch Pratt.  This bank also raised capital to rebuild cities in the South during Reconstruction and was the co-executor for Henry Walter's estate and trustee that help establish the Walters Art Collection.  Mercantile Trust occupied the building for almost 100 years and left in 1983.  The building is the new location of the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company.

Woman's College of Baltimore

1894

Clipping

MB1832

This illustation depicts College Home "B" of The Woman's College of Baltimore.  Located at 23rd and Calvert. Now known as Goucher College located in Towson, MD

Ford's Grand Opera House

1894

Clipping

MB1835

Photograph of Ford's Grand Opera House located on Fayette Street near Eutaw Street.  founded by theatre manager John T. Ford who was born in Baltimore and also established Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC.  Its architect was James J. Gifford.  It opened to the public on October 2, 1871.  It was closed in 1964.

Woman's College of Baltimore

1894

Clipping

MB1838

This engraving is of The Woman's College of Baltimore, it’s the SW quarter of campus where the First Methodist Church, Goucher Hall and Bennett Hall are located.

Y.M.C.A. Building

1894

Clipping

MB1842

This photograph is the Y.M.C.A. building located at Charles and Saratoga Streets.  The architect is J.C. Nielson.  Modernized is known as the Morris Building.

Johns Hopkins University- Physical Laboratory

1894

Clipping

MB1843

This photograph is of the Physical Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University.  In 1885 another plot of land was bought on the northwest corner of Monument Street and Linden Avenue.  Balwin and Pennington, architects.  WM Ferguson and Bro, builders.

The Arundel Apartments

1894

Clipping

MB1844

This photograph is of the Arundel Aparments located at the SW corner of Charles Street and Mt. Royal Avenue.  Architects Wyatt and Nolting

Banks

1894

Clipping

MB1845

This photograph includes three banks:  Western National Bank, Eutaw Savings Bank and Drovers and Mechanics National Bank

Emanuel P.E. Church

1894

Clipping

MB1846

This photgraph shows Emanuel P.E. Church located at the SE corner of Cathedral and Read Streets.  The construction for the church began in 1853 and the services began on Oct. 15, 1854.  Congregation came from Church Christ who found that church's location on Gay Street inconvenient. History of Baltimore from the Earliest Period to the Present Day by John Thomas Scharf (1881)

College of Physicans and Surgeons

1894

Clipping

MB1847

The College of Physicians and Surgeons belonged to the University of Maryland Medical School. Architects of the building were Baldwin and Pennington and its builder was John Waters.  Info about college found in The Monumental City, Its Past History and Present Resources by George W. Howard (1873).

I.O.O.F. Temple

No Date

Clipping

MB1848

This illustration is of the I.O.O.F. Temple in Baltimore was erected in 1883 and listed on the National Register in 1980 and is now office space. Located at 300 Cathedral Street.

Home For Incurables

1894

Clipping

MB1849

This photograph features the Home for Incurables that was founded in 1884 for the chronically-ill poor.  Located at 21st street at Guilford Ave.

Charles Street

1894

Clipping

MB1851

This photograph shows the west side of Charles Street between Biddle and Preston Streets.  The photo also shows the splendid architecture of the homes located on this street.

Provident Savings Bank

1894

Clipping

MB1852

This photograph shows the Provident Savings Bank located at Howard and Franklin Streets founded in Baltimore in 1886.

Residence of B. F. Horwitz

1894

Clipping

MB1853

This photograph is of the residence that belonged to B. F. Horwitz, Esq. located at the corner of Cathedral and Franklin Streets

Fidelity Building

Circa 1893

Clipping

MB1854

This photograph is of the Fidelity and Deposit Building located at Charles & Lexington Streets, northwest corner (now Charles Center).  Baldwin and Pennington were the architects.  WM Ferguson and Bro were the builders.  It's a high rise building, construction finished in 1893 and renovated between 1912 and 1915 in which seven stories were added.

New Baltimore Court House

1894

Clipping

MB1855

This illustration is of the Baltimore Court House's accepted design by Baltimore based architects Wyatt and Nolting.  The cornerstone was laid in 1896 and the building was completed and dedicated in 1900.

Telephone Building

No Date

Clipping

MD1914

This photograph is of Baltimore's Telephone Building that was built in 1940 and completed in 1948.  It's located at 320 St Paul Place and is known as the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Building.

The History of Homewood

1942

Print

MD1989

This short book is of The History of Homework, published by The Johns Hopkins University located in Baltimore.  The author is John Gilman D'Arcy Paul

The Carroll Home

No Date

Clipping

MD2027

This photograph shows the Carroll Home located on the campus of The Johns Hopkins University.  The Carroll family occupied this home between 1775-1825. 

Election Tickets

1839,1844

Print

MD2398

These election tickets depict the Democratic Ticket.  At the top of two democratic tickets "Jackson and Liberty" and one states For Governor James Carroll.  The other states For Congress, for Assembly and For Sheriff.  The National Democratic Party print with "Eleventh Ward" at the top includes names of those running for offices within the state government.

Fort McHenry

No Date

Engraving

MB2590

This engraving depicts a view of Fort McHenry and the entrance to the Harbour of Baltimore.  The engraved photo was made for the Analectic Magazine. " The most interesting American magazine of the second decade of the 19th century due to its great literature, history and illustrations."  Engraving done by Richard G. Harrison.

Merry and Happy Christmas

No Date

Letter

MD2672

This letter is uniquely printed on a pecial kind of paper.  Raymond Creekmore (?) has written a letter about his adventures in China.  His audience is Mr. Richard Medford.

Conflagration of St. Pauls Church

April 29, 1854

Engraving

CB2785

This engraving depicts the conflagration of St. Paul's Church.  Built in 1817, Robert Cary Long, architect.  It was destroyed by fire on April 29, 1854.  The present church is located on the same site. 

Box 48

Title

Date

Physical Description

Call Number

Notes

Mount Hope

No Date

Engraving

MB3050

This engraving shows Mount Hope, located near Baltimore, Md.  Engraved by J.W. Steel.

The Sun Iron Building

1852 or 1853

Clipping

CB2892

The engraving shows The Sun Iron Building located in Baltimore, Md.  The accompanied article shares the details of the building's architecture.  The article states that the building was erected in Baltimore within the last 18 months.  The building was finished in 1851.

Hall of the Maryland Institute

No Date

Clipping

CB2795

The illustration shows the Hall of the Maryland Institute located in Baltimore.  In the bottom text it states that this was the largest and only hall in the country to serve for the advancement of the mechanic arts.  The largest apartment is 265 feet by 60 and the building can contain 6,000 people.  Illustration drawn by Manning.  Article published while building still being completed.

Ouen Boure!

No Date

Engraving

CC2841

Engraving of unknown man, his name could be what is written at the bottom "Ouen Boure!"

Ft. McHenry and the City Well

1853 & 1855

Clippings

CB2861

These clippings include illustrations of Fort McHenry and the City Well presented in the "Illustrated News" and "Gleason's Pictorial".  The history of Fort McHenry accompanies the picture in each excerpt.

Old City Hall

1864

Clipping

CC2929

This illustration depicts the Old City Hall.

The City Well

1853

Clipping

CB2933

This illustration depicts The City Well in Baltimore, MD.

The New Jail

Circa 1800s

Clipping

CB2945

This illustration depicts The New Jail in Baltimore, MD.  The old jail was built in Baltimore in 1802 and by 1858 there were plans to build a larger jail on the same property.  Information from History of Baltimore City and County, from the Earliest Period to the Present by John Thomas Scharf

The Old Light Street M.E. Church

1785

Clipping

CB2986

This illustration depicts the Old Light Street ME Church located on Light Street and Wine Alley constructed in 1785.  The new Light Street Street was built across the street in 1797 both dedicated by Francis Asbury.

The Baltimore American Building

1773

Clipping

CB2989

This illustration is of the Office of the American founded in 1773.  The Baltimore American was owned in the 19th and 20th centuries by Gen. Felix Agnus.  This building was located at 126 and 128 W. Baltimore Street.

Maryland Institute

1826

Clipping

CB2995

This illustration is of the Maryland Institute.

Barnum's City Hotel

1800s

Clipping

CB3000

This illustration of the Barnum's City Hotel in Monument Square, founded by David Barnum.  Located on Fayette and Calvert Streets. Known for hosting many notable guests and also known as the location of John Wilkes Boothfinal meeting with his co-conspirators to kill President Lincoln.

St. Paul's PE Church

1692

Clipping

CB3004

This illustartion depeicts Old St. Paul Church founded in 1692.  The church was built in 1854, its architect was Richard Upjohn.

Clarke and Jones

1873

Clipping

MB3028

This illustration is of Clarke and Jones Candy Manufacturers and Wholesale dealter in foreign fruits, nuts and c. Located at Light St, Corner of German Street. Located in what was known as theNumsen's Block.  The company was established on May 17, 1852. Information from The Monumental City:  Its Past History and Present Resources by George Washington Howard

Concordia Buildings

1870

Clipping

MB3136

This illustration is of the Concordia Buildings built by the Germans of Baltimore as an opera house.  Located on Eutaw street, the main hall is 87 feet in length and 68 feet in width.  The information about The Concordia is provided in the text accompanied by the illustration.

Fort McHenry

April 2, 1853

Clipping

MB3138

Repeated clipping of the illustration that depicts Fort McHenry from pictorial section of newspaper.

An Old Baltimore Mansion

December 26, 1874

Print

MB3140

This article of the Belvedere Mansion is located in the Appletons' Journal No. 301 Vol. XII.  The article decribes the history of the owners and the history of the estate.  This was known as a place open freely for guests of distinction. 

Belle Grove

No Date

Clipping

MD3426

This illustration is of Belle Grove, the residence of D.C. Howell located on Catonsville Road in Baltimore County.

Tower Hill

No Date

Clipping

MC3428

This illustration is of Tower Hill, the residence of Henry James located on Catonsville Road in Baltimore County.

Monastery

No Date

Clipping

MD3429

Illustration of monastery, previously seen picture but name is not attached to this.

St. Mary's Industrial School

1916

Clipping

MD3430

This photo is of St. Mary's Industrial School located in Baltimore, MD before the 1919 fire. This school was an orphanage and reform school for boys ran by the Catholic Church.  The present site is cardinal Gibbons High School.

St. Mary's Industrial School

1916

Clipping

MD3431

This photo is of St. Mary's Industrial School located in Baltimore, MD before the 1919 fire. This school was an orphanage and reform school for boys ran by the Catholic Church.  The present site is cardinal Gibbons High School.

St. Mary's Industrial School

1816

Clipping

MD3433

This illustration depicts St. Mary's Industrial School for boys in its early years.

Auction Sale

March 27, 1936

Print

MD5674

This booklet includes items that belonged to members of the Baltimore Philatelic Society that were sold at an auction at the Peale Museum.  Perry Fuller signed this booklet. 

City Hotel

No Date

Clipping

MB5720

Illustration of City Hotel located in Baltimore, MD.

Athol

Circa 1880

Clipping

MB5898

This property known as Athol belonged to CJ Baker and between 1920-1970s became Gundry Hospital.

Chatsworth

Circa 1830

Clipping

MD5898

This property known as Chatsworth was the residence of Andrew Banks located in Reisterstown, MD.  Andrew Banks married catharine Bower and kept a general store on the property. They had 1 child David Bower Banks who became a  prominent Baltimore City merchant and the president of the Union Manufacturing Company in Oella, MD.

Residences

No Date

Clippings

MB5898

Illustrations of "Annadale" residence of Charles K. Harrison, "Anneslie" residence of F. Harrison architect J. R. Mermsee c.1850, "Atamasco" residence of W. C. Nichols, and Residence of A.S. Abell 83 Saratoga Street.

Residences

No Date

Clippings

MB5898

Illustrations of "Beech Hill" residence of Jesse Slingluff, "Belle Grove" residence of D. C. Howell, The estate of John Carroll Esq of "The Caves" and "Clyburn" residence of Jesse Tyson

Residences

No Date

Clippings

MB5898

Illustrations of "Forest View" residence of C. Lyon Rogers, "Dumbarton" residence of P. H. Walker, "Dumbarton Farm" residence of Joseph H. Rieman and "Evergreen" residence of T. Harrison Garrett.

Residences

No Date

Clippings

MB5898

Illustrations of "Guilford" residence of A.S. Abell, "Maple Hill" Residence of Robert Poole, "Montebello" residence of John W. Garrett, "Spring Hill" residence of the late H. Clay Miller, "Trentham" residence of Thomas Cradock, "Homewood Villa" residence of William Wyman and "Woodbourne" residence of George W. Abell.

City of Baltimore

No Date

Print

CB7660

This excerpt discusses the city of Baltimore and is page 59 of a book.

View of Washington Monument

1881

Clipping

MB7906

From Scharf's History of Baltimore City and County/ 1881 by Louis H. Everts, Vol. I page 266. 

Eutaw House

1830s

Clipping

MB8571

Illustration of the Eutaw House, Proprietor Capt. Robert Coleman. Large and fashionable hotel built on the northwest corner of Eutaw and Baltimore streets between 1832 and 1835 by William Hussey.  Scharf’s History of Baltimore City and County, the brick Eutaw House covered over 19,000 square feet.

New City Prison

1859

Clipping

MB8573

Illustration of the new city prison in Baltimore

U.S. Frigate Constellation

1955 abd 1957

Clippings

MD8726

Brochures, letters, newspaper clippings that relate to the welcoming of the US Constellation, the first ship of the U.S. Navy to become a National Shrine in Baltimore.  A contract is also included between the Navy and Star Spangled Banner Flag House Association.

St. Paul's Epicopal Church

November 22, 1856

Clippings

MD10434

These clippings come from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper and show the interior and exterior of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in sketches. 

Baltimore, Md

Before 1854

Colored Engraving

MB1844

This colored lithography shows a scentic view of Baltimore, MD.

Washington Monument

Before 1854

Colored Engraving

MB1844

This colored lithography shows a scentic view of Baltimore, MD looking South from the Washington Monument.

Fort McHenry

1862

Engraving

x

This lithography was by E. Sachse and Co. of 104 S.Charles Street at the District Court of Maryland.  Engraving of Fort McHenry

Maryland Institute

No Date

Clippings

x

These two clippings are sketches of the Maryland Institute located in Market Place

Hall of the Maryland Institute, Wreck of the Ship Concordia

1851

Clippings

x

These clippings are from Gleason's Pictorial Drawing room Campanion.  Include sketches and information about the Hall of the Maryland Institute in Baltimore and the Wreak of the Concordia.

Maryland Institute

No Date

Engraving

x

This tinted lithography is of the Maryland Institute located at Market Place.  Publisher Beek and Lawton, 7th and Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pa.

Box 49

Title

Date

Physical Description

Call Number

Notes

"Attention to Orders"

1938-1940

Print

1985.35.1.1-.17

This newsletter is published by the Maryland National Guard.  Issues from October 1938-April 1940 are included in this folder. 

Centennial Legion of Historic Military Commands

September 1960

Print

1985.35.2

This 84th Anniversary Program was held in Baltimore and Annapolis.  Persons from various states joined this celebration.  The 5th Regiment Veteran Corps was the host during this particular year.  This organization was etablished in 1876 that formed a permanent body of military organziations from the 13 original States. 

175th Anniversary of the 175th Infantry Regiment MD National Guard

December 3, 1949

Print

1985.35.3

This 175th Anniversary Program was held by the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore.  This anniversary commemorated the 24 battle streamers awarded to the infantry.  Regiment established in 1776.

Camp Anderson Souvenir Booklet

1888

Print

1985.35.4

Isaac Friedenwald, Publisher Baltimore, Md. Souvenir of Camp Anderson 5th Regiment I-M-N-G in Atlantic City, N.J. Sketches of the camp and officers.   

1st Battalion of 175th Infantry Company Operations Handbook

September 1, 1966

Print

1985.35.5

This handbook is used by those recruited into the National Guard.  It includes the operations and information needed to carry out duties of the 175th infantry

200th Anniversary of the 175th Infantry

December 7, 1974

Print

1985.35.6.1

This program commemorates the 200th anniversary of the 17th Infantry (5th in Maryland) in Baltimore, MD. At this celebration December 3, 1974 declared as Dandy Fifth Regiment Day

American Flag

No Date

Textile

1985.35.6.2

This folder has an American Flag, about 12 in. by 5 in.

Recruitment Pamphlet for MD National Guard

No Date

Print

No Call Number

No call number originally assigned by BCLM.  This pamphlet was created to recruit men into the 5th Infantry MD National Guard.  Included are the reasons they should join and the drill schedule.  5th Regiment Armory, located at Bolton and Hoffman Streets.

84th Anniversary of the 5th Regiment Infantry

September 29-October 1, 1972

Print

1985.35.8

This program commemorates the 84th anniversary of the 5th regiment of the Maryland National Guard. 

Military Ball Ticket

September 13, 1935

Print

1985.35.9

This ticket is for the admittance of a lady to the military ball of the 5th Regiment Armory rededication.  Ticket number 2808, Formal dress code.  Ceremony starts at 10pm

The Order of DeMolay for Boys

February 22, 1924

Print

1985.35.10

Membership card for Luther Brooks Riley a member of The Order of Demolay for Boys.  Membership number 118783.  DeMolay is an organization dedicated to preparing young men to lead successful, happy, and productive lives, young men ages 12-21. 

History of the 17th Infrantry (5th in MD)

1974

Print

1985.35.22.1-.2

This booklet commemorates the 200th anniversary of the infantry and discusses the history of the infantry from its founding in 1774 until 1974.  Governor William Schaefer proclaimed Dec 3-9, 1974 "Fifth Regiment Bicentennial Week" in Baltimore.

The Fifth Doughboy

May 1, 1929

Print

1985.35.23.1

This newsletter is handwritten illustrations and typed text.  It's a newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard and it's the Anniversary edition.Vol. 1 Second Issue

The Fifth Doughboy

October 1929

Print

1985.35.23.2

This newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 1 No. 6. Illustration on cover page done by hand.

The Fifth Doughboy

October 1929

Print

1985.35.23.3

This newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 1 No. 6.  Illustration on cover page done by hand.

The Fifth Doughboy

May 1930

Print

1985.35.23.4

 It's a newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 1 No. 9.  No illustration on the cover page done by hand.

The "5th" Doughboy

September 1931

Print

1985.35.23.5

It's a newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 2 No. 5.  Memorial Plaque picture on cover page.  Typed text.

The "5th" Doughboy

September 1933

Print

1985.35.23.6

It's a newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 3 No. 1.  Illustration on cover page. Typed text throughout newsletter.

The "5th" Doughboy

October 1933

Print

1985.35.23.7

It's a newsletter of the 5th Infantry of the MD National Guard. Vol. 3 No. 2.  Illustration on cover page.  Typed text throughout newsletter.

Training Memo

February 8, 1934

Print

1985.35.24

This training memorandum No.16 was ordered by Colonel Washington Bowie, Jr. to Louis G. Smith, Captain of the 5th Infantry. It contains the Outline of Information for Communication Officers and NCOs