Canteen circa 1813

Canteen circa 1813

This canteen is a rare and well-preserved artifact from Baltimore in the era of the War of 1812. The inscription indicates use in the Sea Fencibles, a mariner militia organized by Congress for coastal defense. Two companies were formed in Baltimore in 1813, and they assisted the defense of Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in 1814. Captain William H. Addison commanded the second company, which probably included the owner of this canteen. Gift to the Maryland Historical Society from the estate of Edward Stabler Jr., 1923.