- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- PLAN A VISIT
- SUPPORT MDHS
Our volunteers’ time and talent are vital to the success of the Maryland Historical Society. Volunteers assist with visitors, conduct research in the library, catalog records and archives, work in the collections department, and help with general administrative duties throughout the society’s various departments.
Placement of volunteers is determined based on the volunteer’s interest, skills, and life experiences as well as the needs of the institution. MdHS volunteers bring life and energy to supporting the work of our staff through the time they donate.
The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS), a museum and library in Baltimore, is recruiting volunteer docents to deliver interactive tours and programs for student and adult groups. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history, enjoy working with the public, and feel comfortable speaking to groups.
For more information about this position click here!
To apply to this position please download and complete the application.
Below are other examples of volunteer opportunities that are often available at MdHS. Positions are typically project-based:
Library and Special Collections
- Archives Assistant - help improve access to & preservation of historical documents
- Catalog Assistant - edit and update library records in the MdHS online public access catalog
- Inventory Assistant - maintain and document collections of printed material and photographs and create lists of folder titles for manuscript collections
- Assist with the cataloging of photographs and reproductions of MdHS collection materials.
- Research objects in the MdHS museum collection and potential donations to the collection
- Respond to inquiries about the MdHS collections
- Assist with exhibition research and installation/de-installation
Development, Marketing and Public Relations
- Gift Entry - assist with gift entry in the fundraising department
- Informational Distributor - assist with mailings to MdHS members and donors
- Marketing - Assist with calendar updates to media lists throughout area
- Assist with press releases, writings, etc. for public relations related projects
- In addition to the above mentioned volunteer opportunities, we often need administrative help at MdHS. Administrative support positions include opportunities in education, the museum, the library, finance, development, marketing/PR.
To become a volunteer, or inquire about volunteer opportunities, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, let us know why you are interested in volunteering and in which department you are most interested in helping us out. Please note that availability of volunteer positions depends on timing and departmental needs.